Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Bosque del Apache, New Mexico



Bosque del Apache (Spanish for “Woods of the Apache”) in central New Mexico is a spectacular wild life reserve that is the winter home for tens of thousands of Arctic Geese, Snow Cranes, and many other kinds of birds including Bald Eagles, Peregrine Falcons, Red Tail Hawks and many kinds of ducks.

These birds attract coyotes and other predators into the area causing sudden flights of hundreds or thousands of birds in great clouds.

Unfortunately, I am not a wildlife photographer and I don't own the kind of photographic equipment that one needs to capture such wonderful animals in their natural habitat. But I love photographing there nonetheless because of the unique colors and light that play across the flood plane originally formed by the Rio Grande.

I took these photographs just after sunset on a very cold November day. I can't do justice to the gigantic flocks in flight, but I hope that these photographs inspire you to visit this amazing park.

No comments: