Thursday, May 8, 2008

Triangles in the Sea

Triangles in the Sea, June 2007
Last summer I had the wonderful opportunity to travel from New York to Maine on vacation with my family. During a visit to Nathaniel Hawthorne's famous "House of the Seven Gables" in Salem, Massachusetts, I wondered around the park-like gardens outside the house.
I had been photographing some beautiful flower gardens for my wife, when i approached the rocky beach that borders the famous landmark. I immediately noticed the triangular composition before me. I was early morning and a soft sea fog hung in the air. It even rained a little. In theory, the lighting was terrible for photography, but i never let something like that bother me. I just take a different kind of photograph.

I have done very little to the photograph except to increase the contrast slightly and to convert it to a black and white image. The color image is very grey and I almost decided to leave it in color since the beach and sea had a slightly green tinge that looked quite in character. However, i felt that, since I really wanted to highlight all those great triangles, color had to give way to texture and geometry.

Radzfoto

No comments: